For the cake:
1/4 cup (vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 and 3/4 cups gluten free flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
3oz (85g) dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup (240g) lactose free sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and grease and line two round 8 inch cake tins.
2. Place the oil, eggs, vanilla and sugars into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until smooth and well combined, 1 minute on med-high speed.
3. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarb and salt and mix until just combined.
4. Add in the melted chocolate and mix on low until well combined.
5. Add in the sour cream and mix on low-medium for 30 seconds-1 minute until well incorporated and smooth.
6. Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins and level with a spatula/wooden spoon.
7. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until risen and an inserted skewer into the centre, comes out clean.*
8. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for at least 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
1/2 cup (120g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup organic marshmallow fluff
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 Tablespoons heavy cream*
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the frosting: In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, marshmallow creme, vanilla, and cream on medium speed until completely smooth. Add 2 cups confectioners’ sugar and the salt slowly with the mixer running on low, then increase the speed to high and beat for 1 minute. If it looks too thin, add 1/4 cup more confectioners’ sugar. Frost cooled cupcakes however you’d like.